Thank you for your message.

Unfortunately, I’m unable to answer questions, or offer advice, or offer my opinion, or have telephone discussions for free. (This post explains why.)

Because I get a huge number of emails and calls and it would simply be too time consuming to answer them all.

If I did I would get very little done for my own clients. And, as you will understand, my clients take priority.

Also, many of the questions I receive are quite complex and require me to obtain further information from you.

I would almost certainly need to review your contract of employment, and any correspondence related to your employment, to give you a professional, accurate answer. This takes time, and research, in many cases.

So, I charge a consultation fee for my time and expertise. If you want to avail of this there are a number of ways to have your problem/issue addressed:

  • you can come in for a consultation, or
  • send me all the details of your issue by email, or
  • book a telephone consultation.

I can then advise properly and provide clarity and peace of mind.

You should have a pretty good idea whether to pursue your issue further, or just put it behind you because the employer is entitled to do what he is doing and there is nothing unlawful about it.

The key thing you get from this service is clarity.

Learn more about this service here.

You can also pay online by bank transfer-I will send you on the details by email if you want to go ahead.

If this service isn’t for you, that’s fine.

You are still free to continue accessing the free information on my website-– or contact a Citizen’s Advice centre.

You can also visit my other websites which have lots of free information.


Terry Gorry B.Comm


P.S. Click here to learn about this service.